Elizabeth DeVaughn, M.A., LPC-MHSP
Schedule an Appointment - If you’re contemplating beginning the counseling process, I would love to speak with you. I offer free 15 minute phone consultations so that we can explore our compatibility for potentially beginning a counseling relationship. Phone - 615-389-6150.
Fees - Intake session – 75 minutes, $187.50; Standard session – 50 minutes, $125. Sliding scale options are available on a limited basis based on income and need.
Availability - Monday – Thursday (I am available on Fridays on a limited basis); I accept my first client at 1:00pm and my last client at 7:00pm
E-Mail - email@example.com
Counseling Website - www.elizabethdevaughncounseling.com
Blog Website - www.thecurlyheadedtherapist.com
Specialties/Clinical Interests - Anxiety, Depression, Personal Growth, Trauma & PTSD, Relationship/Marital issues, Addiction
My Approach to Counseling
We all have an innate ability and desire to grow and thrive. And I believe that we already have everything we need in order to heal. We just need to create space for our bodies and internal wisdom to show us what we need in order to heal our wounds and cultivate our authentic selves. This is how I approach counseling. I believe in our body's ability to heal itself. Just like a plant that will flourish and bloom given the right space, we as humans need a nurturing environment in order to grow:
- We need to be LISTENED TO, which includes listening to ourselves.
- We need LOVE, empathy, and connection, not shame and judgment.
- We need to be given space to FEEL exactly what we feel and to BE exactly where we are. Our bodies tell us truth, they tell us what we need. They tell us how to HEAL.
In our work together, I want to create space to listen to what your innate wisdom tells us you need. It can be hard to trust ourselves in this way; personally, I can really relate to this. And even though it can be difficult to trust ourselves, I base my work fully around my firm belief that your body - your inner wisdom - can and will point you toward what you need to be able to heal, get un-stuck, live more fully and authentically, and just...to LIVE.
I am in love with healing work. And with the power of relationships. When I engage in healing work, either personally or professionally with clients, I always come out on the other side reminded of why I love it.
When I started my professional journey in mental health, I was unaware that my professional path would lead me to my personal healing journey. My personal healing work has taught me – among many, many, many things, - that I am human, that it’s OKAY to be human, that I am worthy just as I am, that I am beloved, and that I don’t need masks – or anything – to make me good enough. Even just a few years ago, I may have been able to say those words aloud, but I wouldn’t have believed them. Like, at all. This is why I love healing. Because through the gut-wrenching, completely wonderful, sometimes-torturous, life-altering work, I now believe all these things. I call them my truths. And because I believe these things, I move through life differently than I did. I don’t hide who I really am anymore. I reach out to the people I trust instead of ruminate and obsess in torturous isolation. I can feel my emotions, which allow me to engage in life fully, with both the pain and the joy. Do I always do the healthy thing? Well, heck no…then I wouldn’t be human. It's normal to forget our truths, and I certainly do. But because of my healing and the healthy relationships in my life, I can find my way back to my truth a lot easier.
My personal work has helped me to see that healing really is possible. I can hold space for my clients when they wonder if their anxiety will ever end, if they’ll ever have a satisfying intimate relationship, or if they’ll every just feel…okay. I can hold hope when they feel they have none. I am in love with healing work.
- Bachelor of Arts Degree in Psychology from Western Kentucky University
- Master of Arts Degree in Counseling from Trevecca Nazarene University
- Licensed Professional Counselor with Mental Health Service Provider designation (LPC-MHSP) with the state of Tennessee. License #3477
- Trained in Eye Movement Desensitization and Reprocessing (EMDR), Level II
- Trained in Emotionally Focused Therapy for Couples
- Over 10 years of experience working in the mental health field
- Worked with children and teens struggling with sexual trauma in an inpatient setting
- Served as a Case Manager and Employment Specialist for clients with severe and persistent mental illness
Led groups for women recovering from domestic violence
- Served as an individual and group counselor for men and women struggling with addiction and other mental health issues in a residential setting
- Served as an outpatient counselor for men, women, and couples struggling with anxiety, depression, addiction, relationship/marital issues, grief, personal growth, trauma, and a range of other issues